Monday 25 January 2010

Advice on how the world works and what it all means

I am trying to make sense of it all. (That would be me and a million others over the decades.) It is just crushing that not only do I follow the existentialist angst but also fall into the middle class pit as well. Viva stereotypes viva.

I think that life lessons only work in specific contexts. I read about people (usually the aged and wise) who pass on their sense of what it is all about... but it doesn't make sense for me as I live my life. Anyone who has read 'Tuesdays with Morrie' but who isn't part of mainstream society will connect. I hope.

If you don't fall into the classic mould of married with children and exist within a western environment, you aren't going to relate to the advice from the book. If you have chosen a different path or were even born into an alternative one then you need to create your own advice or look for different role models.

It fascinates me that there aren't a mass of role models that fall out of the norm of western christian patriarchal socety. Even with the Internet and the sense of a global village, we all still wither under the American Dream. It just must be about marrying, having children, earning a lot of money, being recognised by our peers, proving ourselves and leaving a legacy. And there has been an add on of creating a charity or giving of yourself in a way that makes a mark on the world. While many of these characteristics are shared and lauded across various lifestyles, it still isn't a one size fits all.

What we do seem to share, across all divides, is the search for happiness and fulfillment. It just means different things to different people and I don't think people are getting that. It is touched on in mass communication but there isn't enough depth so that people truly understand that they need to create their own paths and/or recognise that they must search out their own role models because we do not all follow the same path.

So I am creating my own list - my advice to me. Perhaps by detangling the confusion in my head something new will be created. (And if it doesn't, no animals were harmed in the creating of this piece. So all is good.)

What you need to know about life if you happen to be an independent-thinking woman who is single with no dependants, embraces multi-perspectives in life, works for herself, has suffered a chronic illness for a significant proportion of her adult life, is non-sexist, non-racist and anti-homophobia.... I think that about covers it.

1. As trite as it sounds, the crappy things that happen to you really do teach you about life. There really are lessons to be learnt and a lot of jokes to be made. I don't think there has been one obstacle that hasn't enriched me on some level. It makes it easier when you have to overcome the challenges... knowing that you are gaining in the process.
2. Looks really do count. No matter that you read anything different, it just isn't true. A woman's currency is still largely invested in the way she looks. You can make this work for you by playing the system and then subverting it. But, at this point in human evolution, ignoring it will only harm you and your progress both internally and externally.

(Bugger. Work beckons. The list shall continue at a later date. )

No comments: